Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chicken, Spinach, and Mushroom Enchiladas







Gabe and I are always scouting out new Mexican restaurants in our area and for some reason have continually been disappointed.  The biggest problem is that Santa Monica tries to make Mexican food "fancy" which is not generally what we have in mind.  Since I usually order enchiladas, I decided to try making them at home and they were surprisingly easy and so delicious.  I added the spinach and mushrooms to my half and left Gabe's half with just chicken and cheese.  He was happy about that.  


Chicken, Spinach, and Mushroom Enchiladas
Ingredients:
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small white onion diced
2-3 cups cheese (I used cheddar and pepper jack)
1 10oz back fresh spinach
10oz chopped mushrooms
3 chicken breasts
10 tortillas (I used La Tortilla whole grain)
2 bottles enchilada sauce (I used Trader Joe's)


Directions:
-Place chicken breasts in boiling water for 20 minutes or until cooked through.  Drain, cool, and shred with two forks. Pour about 1 cup of enchilada sauce over shredded chicken and mix until blended.
-Sauteé onions and garlic over medium heat for about 5 minutes.  Add spinach and mushrooms and sauteé for another 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and drain any liquid.
-Coat a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and a thin layer of enchilada sauce.  Spoon a few teaspoons of chicken, spinach mixture, and cheese into each tortilla.  Then roll and place seem side down.  Continue until pan is filled then top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is bubbling.  

23 comments:

Josie said...

Mmmmm, these look AMAZING! I'd be eating from Gabe's side -- hope he's willing to share -- and loving every bite. I'll have to try these; they sound pretty easy.
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Kristin W said...

Those look delicious! We have the same problem in Raleigh...no traditional, cheap, delicious Mexican fare. Why do they insist on trying to fancy-up Mexican?!

I definitely want to try these!

Jillian said...

i'm craving these enchiladas right now. that last photo with all that yummy meltiness is getting me!

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

Yum, these look great! I think I want spinach and cheese please :)

Thelma Frayne said...

YUM- looks amazing!

Gabriel said...

I fully endorse these enchiladas! Outstanding!

PursuitOfLLT said...

mmm sounds delicious. i love mexican but can't stand it when they try to make it fancy.

this sounds like a great combo. I love spinach & mushrooms together.

Sam W. said...

love the idea of adding spinach and mushrooms! i can't get enough mexican food :)

Marcie said...

All I have to say is that I am making these this weekend! This dish is brilliant!

x Marcie

Anonymous said...

The spinach and mushroom sounds good to me!

Kayla said...

I love enchiladas. Add a little spinach and it's a done deal for me!

Ramblings of a Small Town Girl
Fanciful Brainstorm - Tumblr

this free bird said...

okay val it's 10:40am and i'm ready to chow down. let's get out the blender and make a margarita to round it out.

i know what you mean about mexican places in santa monica. we used to eat at el cholo when i lived in sm, but that was about it. do you guys ever head over to tito's tacos in west la? that place is RAD for a taco stand!! you should come down here some time and i'll take you to our go-to spot for crispy chicken tacos. we'll have to take a cab home though. don julio margaritas are calling...

xo,
c

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

yum these sound good and the recipe seems quite easy! i have bookmarked!

k said...

that sounds divine!

Amber said...

i love chicken and cheese enchiladas, I would have never thought to add spinach and mushrooms but it sounds yummy

Anonymous said...

You've been reading my mind! I've been craving enchiladas for what seems like forever now :)

torrie said...

My favorite Mexican dish... to make and eat. It's like therapy! I love enchiladas of all kinds, and I love it even more when we restrain ourselves and save some to freeze and enjoy later. Sometimes, my grandma makes a batch for us, and there's nothing better than pulling out a batch and putting it in the oven for a home-cooked meal that I didn't even have to cook! :)

Kristyn Burtt said...

Love enchiladas! Especially, salsa verde enchiladas.
KB

www.redcarpetcloset.tv

Marie said...

Mmmmmmmmm... I want some.:D

Thanks for the recipe!:D

***** Marie *****
allthingsmarie.com

Unknown said...

I wish that was my lunch today! Sounds and looks sooooo delicious! I totally agree - I think keeping Mexican food simple is definitely the way to go. We ended up having breakfast at a random taco truck on Saturday and we were blown away.. $5 for 2 overflowing tacos..mine had scrambled eggs, onions, peppers, cheese, pinto beans, pico de gallo and guacamole and an array of hot sauces - just amazing! I can't wait to go back. I know you and Gabe would enjoy :)

jamie said...

OMG these sound amazing!! I think I am going to make these tonight!!!

http://www.glamlatte.com

Lyndsy said...

Yum! I am so going to have to make these. They look delicious - thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

It's going to be end of mine day, but before finish I am reading this impressive article to improve my know-how.

My site ... healthy diet plans