Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Gooey Butter Cookies




I made these cookies for Christmas and they were absolutely divine.  They were a bit sweet as well as a bit savory and light and fluffy (so you can eat 25 before feeling ill- I know this from experience).


Gooey Butter Cookies (recipe by Mathew Rice of Nightwood Restaurant)
  • 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 pound cream cheese
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter
  • 1/2 vanilla bean, scraped (optional (Tim thinks it is optional, but important))
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Confectioner’s sugar for rolling and dusting
Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.  In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the cream cheese, butter, vanilla bean seeds, and sugar together until fluffy.  Add the eggs and vanilla extract.
Incorporate the flour mixture.  Chill for at least 30 minutes.  Scoop roughly 1-ounce balls and toss in the confectioner’s sugar.  Place on a baking sheet, lined with parchment, a couple of inches apart.  Bake at 325° F until they spread and puff slightly, about 12-16 minutes.  They will be really soft in the center.  If they start to brown, they’ve gone too far.  Cool to room temperature.
The recipe recommended refrigerating them from here and I was skeptical but decided to try it and they were even better cold!  Try them both ways and see which you prefer.

8 comments:

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Oooh I'm putting this on my Pinterest and trying it out over the weekend. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I can't wait to try it.

Josie said...

Dying? Dying. These sound outrageous. Hope all is well with the baby, Val!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Amber said...

butter makes everything better. These cookies sound so yummy.

kristal said...

these look amazing, you know I will make these and then call to complain about how many I ate:)

Katrine - make it and fake it said...

OH YUM!!! these look so good!!!! mmmmmmmmm!!!

love K

this free bird said...

Pass the cookies. I'm a hot mess and need a workout, but why start now?

Anonymous said...

Hi! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website
with us so I came to take a look. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm bookmarking
and will be tweeting this to my followers! Fantastic blog and brilliant style and design.



Here is my weblog; wireless

World of Animals, Inc said...

Wow, these look so delicious and easy to make. We are going to make these this weekend for a family gathering we are going too. Thanks for the share. Have a wonderful upcoming weekend.
World of Animals